Sunday, March 15, 2009

missed flights and mishaps

( so i've come to the conclusion that i'm horrible with keeping up with this thing... thus being 2 weeks late)

Last Day in San fran on Saturday. the beginning was beautiful. saw off my room mate Les who came to visit bright and early in the morning. this morning was spent lazying it around, packing, re-packing, and wishing my friend Adam a happy birthday. i miss him. i met him right before i moved out to FL. we became really close in a short amount of time and he is such an amazing man of God.  i think he may be coming to visit me in the summer but i suppose i won't hold my breath.

As we exited the city, a sadness began to envelop me.  only a few days left with my bestests. i don't like reality right now. Not one bit.

We ate some Mexican in the lovely airport after parting with our beloved Susie who had housed us for the past few days. Such a dear woman. such a blessing to be able to stay with her.

as we sat down, and walt gave his AMAZING impression ( you will have to ask him later for details) my phone buzzed.  it was a message from my Orbitz account, letting me know that my flight was delayed by half an hour.  no worries right? the gang said they would just wait in the airport until i was able to land. we parted ways as their flight was going to be on time. little did i know that was the last time i would see them until the next morning.

i ventured over to my gate only to find some disgruntled passengers glaring at me. uh -oh.
i scanned the board.  still only a 30 min delay. i sat down and opened my lap top trying to pass the time. with no success. apparently this airport does not have free wireless, even though a link says exactly that. oh well. it won't be too long.

my phone buzzes again.
"we're sorry your flight has been delayed for another hour. please stand by with updates"

hmph. another hour? what is going on? apparently the plane was having mechanical difficulties and they hadn't even left their prior destination. no worries. i'll just read. an hour is a good amount of time to catch up on some much needed reading.

phone buzzing.

"we're sorry your flight has been delayed from 2:20p until 4:30p. please stand by with updates"

growl. i text mel and give them the update. i hope they will wait up for me. i have no idea how to manuvere LA. they are up in the air right now. i am not. hmph.

i'm at this point getting a little tired so i rest my head on the seat and begin to think. i hate thinking. i really do. i am not an intellectual person by any means and i would much rather be numb sometimes than to think. and i'm hungry too. but i'm trying to save money. after all i had to PAY to bring clothes. stupid United Airlines.

phone buzz. ::::: seriously ::::::

"we're sorry your flight has been delayed from 220pm to 5:30pm. please stand by with updates"

no. no. no. no more updates unless they are good.  i text Mel again with the news. no response. it's 3:30 by this time. i overhear two ladies behind me state they are on stand by for a 4:50p flight to LA. they encourage me to try to fly stand by too. sure. worth a shot. i ask the desk clerk about it and he acts like i'm the biggest annoyance ever. "can't you see i'm trying to deal with this San Diego flight?" "uhm yes sir, i just was curious to see if i could try to get on a stand by to LA. my friends just got there. they are leaving for Australia on Monday and i only have a limited amount of time with them so if there is any way i would really appreciate it" he growled something under his breath, printed off some sort of receipt, and told me to go to three gates over.

no one is there. there is two people on the gate beside it. "hi excuse me i am trying to get to LA and the gentleman over there said ---"
"honnie" said a vivacious black lady with a weave down her back " if you ain't going to Las Vegas, we can't help you. we aren't booking LA"
"oh well no mam but you see, there is no one at the desk beside you for LA so that's why i thought----"
"Las Vegas, not LA" she gets on the intercom "ATTENTION if you are trying to get to LA the flight has been delayed until 6:30. if you would like more information on more flights please go to the customer service desk"

6:30? i've been here since 12:30. this is ridiculous.  as i turn to head towards the way to the customer service desk, a stampede follows. Apparently everyone wants to get to LA. not just me.  i walk as quickly as I can with a duffle bag full of 50lbs of clothes that I know i will not wear in the next two days.  I can't pack to save my life.

we go up walkways and down escalators only to find a line that wraps around two other gates. this is the customer service desk. my cell phone buzzes. It's Mel.
"hey we just landed what's the verdict" 
" don't know, it's been delayed so i'm waiting to hear back"
" k well we are probably going to get a cab but just keep us updated and we will see you tonight!"
no they wouldn't.  I hate United Airlines.

   phone buzzes again.
"We're sorry your flight ------"
CLICK. no more bad news. i don't want to even hear it.

the girl in front of me is in a frantic fury.
"What do you mean the flight is cancelled? I need to get to LA now..."

uh oh. no that can't be my flight? right? i mean i am sure there are TONS of flights going to LA. not mine... right?

my heart is beating in my chest. it's 4:30. i'm more irritated than anything. it's my turn. i slowly approach the counter and sit down my massive bag. my shoulder is already starting to hurt.

"uhm hi yes i was on a flight scheduled out at 2:20 for LA and....."
" that flights been cancelled "

shuddering silence.

" oh " i manage to get out. i've never been in this situation. no take that back. i was the first time I tried to fly out from Orlando to KY. but i knew quite a few people in Orlando who were able to bring me back. i know NO ONE here in San fran...

to be continued......


1 comment:

  1. Man, you are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good with details!

    ReplyDelete